Competitive Innovations, LLC (CI) is seeking to fill a Staff Assistant position located in the Department of State’s Office of the Assistant Secretary, Bureau Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs (OES/FO). The Staff Assistant engages in diverse functional responsibilities and complex issues, including communication of decisions and/or recommendations which have broad impact throughout Bureau operations, maintaining appropriate and clear channels of guidance and communication throughout the Department of State, and providing high caliber administrative support and effective task management.
- Serves as a staff assistant to the Assistant Secretary, the Deputy Assistant Secretaries, and Senior Advisors, coordinating and assisting in the accomplishment of administrative and operational issues, processes, and business needs.
- Maintains an understanding of the major issues, current and long-term, which are being pursued by the bureau.
- Maintains liaison with the Office of the Secretary, Executive Secretariat (S/ES), the Operations Center, Department Principals, the offices of other Assistant Secretaries, and offices of Principals in other agencies, as necessary.
- Maintains liaison with OES offices to ensure that deadlines are met for the work tasked by S/ES, the Assistant Secretary, Deputy Assistant Secretaries, or the Senior Advisors.
- Coordinates with the other OES Staff Assistant(s) and support staff in bureau offices to track and monitor correspondence within the Bureau.
- Ensures the quality and timeliness of written products drafted within the Bureau by providing guidance, enforcing deadlines, and reviewing for format, style, coherence, accuracy, content, and clearances.
- Makes necessary corrections or returns documents to originator for changes.
- Advises Bureau personnel of overdue action items, upcoming deadlines, priority of issues, format and DoS/OES procedures for processing documentation.
- Responds to inquiries from both within and outside OES concerning the status, location, subject matter, and deadlines of documents and taskers.
- Determines the feasibility of meeting deadlines on specific documents and notifies originator if an extension is required.
- Takes action to avoid, minimize, or eliminate these problems in the short and long-term.
- Exercise independent judgment in performing and executing duties.
- Make recommendations to promote efficiency and productivity and fulfill mission requirements.
- Schedule meetings and ensuring appropriate calendar accuracy. General word-processing and other office support functions.
- Monitor business processes to improve OES administrative operations to better meet Bureau goals and objectives.
- Provide advice and assistance in the control and administration of OES operations and the establishment and application of administrative criteria to achieve mission objectives.
- Maintain roster and schedule of duty officers.
- SECRET security clearance; Interim Secret required to start
- Associates degree in relevant field of study; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2+ years administrative experience; Bachelor’s degree may be substituted for degree
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills
- Proficiency with office technology to include Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in fast-paced environment and multi-task with competing deadlines
- Ability to travel foreign and domestically as required
Competitive Innovations (CI) is a technology partner and trusted advisor to government and industry customers with critical demand for information technology, program management, cyber security, mission support, and secure high integrity web-based solutions. Founded in July 1999, CI’s dedicated professional team is committed to excellence, persistence, and agility in solving complex challenges and delivering innovative solutions. CI is a SBA HUBZone certified small business concern, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner/CSP, Kentico Gold Partner, U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) Federal Supply Schedule Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) prime and Navy SeaPort-NxG prime contractor. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or military/veteran status.