Competitive Innovations, LLC is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor (STA) on Combating Wildlife Trafficking and Wildlife Conservation. This position supports the Department of State’s Office of Conservation and Water, within the Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs (OES/ECW). The position’s purpose is to strengthen the office’s engagement combating wildlife trafficking (CWT) in order to protect American security by addressing wildlife trafficking and wildlife conservation issues as well as other conservation crimes and improving natural resource governance.
The Office of Conservation and Water coordinates the development of U.S. foreign policy approaches to conserving and sustainably managing the world's ecologically and economically important ecosystems, including, forests, wetlands, drylands and coral reefs, the species that depend on them, and the world’s water resources.
The following are the duties and responsibilities of this position:
The STA will support and advance ECW’s program objectives related to international environmental priorities, including those identified by the National Security Council, through technical interventions and initiatives to combat wildlife trafficking and other practices which increase zoonotic disease risk, as well as related efforts to improve wildlife conservation bilaterally, regionally and globally.
Specific examples of work duties include:
- Liaise with relevant Bureau, Mission, Department and interagency offices, as well as implementers and local and international stakeholders for program coordination and the management of CWT programs and initiatives;
- Assists in coordinating interagency processes, including reports related to wildlife conservation and wildlife trafficking, that include, among others: Commerce, Commerce/NOAA, DOI, DOJ, DHS/CBP, DHS/ICE/HIS, State/INL, Treasury, USAID, USDA/APHIS, USDA/FAS, USFS, USFWS, USTR, and DOD.
- Provide assistance and guidance for CWT and related programs throughout the foreign assistance funding cycle, including drafting and processing congressional notifications, solicitation and award processes, drafting implementation work plans, conducting award and agreement management, including through closeout;
- Maintain official award and agreement files for all assistance mechanisms commensurate with bureau and Department requirements, including proper documentation, reporting, communications, etc.;
- Develop, with other DOS bureaus and offices, USAID, appropriate USG agencies, and external stakeholders, partnerships to advance U.S. interests on CWT;
- Draft memos or letters to principals within the Department, to other U.S. agencies, and to interested stakeholders.
- Provide input into ECW contributions to Bureau strategic planning and performance reporting documents for CWT foreign assistance funding, including but not limited to, Operational Plans, Bureau Strategic Plans, Bureau Resource Requests, Performance and Planning Reports, and Congressional Budget Justifications.
- Top Secret security clearance
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years relevant experience
- Work experience demonstrating knowledge of the principles of program management and budgeting. Federal experience in this area a plus, but not required.
- Understanding of the principles of U.S. foreign affairs including information sources, processes, and organizations, as well as initiatives to counter wildlife trafficking.
- Skill in written and oral communication to prepare materials, present analyses, provide guidance, solicit information, and defend proposals.
- Ability to think strategically and practically to achieve organizational objectives.
- Ability to function as part of a team as well as work independently.
- Ability to travel both internationally and domestically
Competitive Innovations (CI) is a technology partner and trusted advisor to government and industry customers with critical demand for information technology, program management, cyber security, mission support, and secure high integrity web-based solutions. Founded in July 1999, CI’s dedicated professional team is committed to excellence, persistence, and agility in solving complex challenges and delivering innovative solutions. CI is a SBA HUBZone certified small business concern, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner/CSP, Kentico Gold Partner, U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) Federal Supply Schedule Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) prime and Navy SeaPort-NxG prime contractor. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or military/veteran status.